“In a lot of the same ways people approach sports, athletics, martial arts, and physical disciplines, you’re gonna suck and it’s gonna be hard at first. But it’s about pushing through, just showing up, and doing the work. I literally use the term ‘putting the reps in,’ like getting those 10,000 hours in. You’ll get better at whatever it is, whether it’s painting, videography, editing, motion graphics….”
In this episode I sit down to chat with multifaceted producer and content creator Garrett Collier. Garrett is the head of production with Four By Three Studios. We talk about his role at FourByThree and what it’s like producing so many comedy specials, how he got into video production in the first place, martial arts, and much more.
Follow Garrett: Instagram
In this episode we talk about
- Garrett’s work at Four By Three, producing comedy specials and working with stand-up comics.
- His role in reaching out to comedians and the evolution from lead sourcing to receiving interest from comedians.
- Garrett’s additional work in brand building and marketing, including Countdown NYC, a music festival in LA.
- Garrett’s freelance work in content creation, including video editing, design, and experimenting with AI art.
- Discussion on the use of AI in creative projects, like music videos.
- Garrett’s journey into the world of video and his initial interests in photography and making videos as a child.
- Recollections of early video-making experiences with friends and the influence of early viral videos.
- Insights into the challenges and dynamics of working on film sets.
- Discussion about the importance and difficulty of production management in creating successful projects.
- Garrett’s experiences in producing comedy specials, including working with comics early or later in their careers.
- The process and challenges involved in shooting a comedy special, from pre-production to filming.
- The growing significance of YouTube as a platform for comedy specials and the impact of the internet on democratizing content creation.
## Links And Resources To Items Discussed
Scarlet Street 2.0 Your favorite pop-punk band is back. Listen: Spotify | Apple “It's so much better than just sitting there, looking at your virtual rulebook like, what could I possibly do? You just need to make a decision. It's the difference of perspectives. And...
Ben Hoffman Industrial designer, photographer, and musician Listen: Spotify | Apple “A lot of the magic comes from hand sketching where, because it's imperfect, you often misread someone else's sketch. Your brain auto-fills something that they weren't even thinking....
Max Kaplan Filmmaker, writer, and director. Listen: Spotify | Apple “My favorite part is when I've got two completely disparate ideas. I think something really important about our humanity is the ability to hold two separate ideas in our heads. To balance them and...